According to the results of recent studies, every third of the inhabitants of the planet are infected with one or another form of nail fungus. At the same time, half a century ago, fungal infections were not common. This is mainly due to the high population density, because pathogens will gain a foothold in swimming pools, changing rooms and other public places.
Due to the widespread occurrence of the disease, a large number of drugs have been invented against the disease. These drugs fall into three main categories. Folk recipes are also outstanding. Let's consider the various options in more detail and try to find out if there is a better way to treat toenail fungus.
Effective pharmaceutical products
Toenail fungus can be treated with sprays and pastes, or by taking antifungal tablets and capsules. Modern pharmacology provides two types of multiple substances. In terms of their effectiveness, they have different effects on pathogens. Some will have a better effect on yeast, while others will handle mold better. There are also universally effective treatments for toenail fungus, but without a clear diagnosis, high-quality treatment is impossible.
The therapeutic complexes of this group have a dual effect on parasites:
- They interfere with the reproduction of microorganisms by destroying the spores of microorganisms.
- These antifungal drugs for nails affect the cell structure of parasites, dissolving cell membranes, and causing them to die.
Similar antifungal drugs can be produced in any form: tablets, capsules, suspensions, ointments and gels. Azoles are most suitable for the treatment of yeast and mold infections.
Each drug has its own analogue. In general, this type of substance is relatively common, and it is not difficult to buy it in pharmacies.
A common feature of this preparation is that it contains amorolfine as the main active ingredient. Its action causes the intracellular process of fungal spores to be interrupted, so the parasitic form stops reproducing and eventually dies.
A feature of this group of drugs is to quickly remove the irritation symptoms of nail fungus: skin itching, burning, and peeling. They are only used when the fungal infection affects only a part of the plate and not the internal tissues. Most of these drugs are topical, so they are most often prescribed at the initial stage, during which you do not need to take medication.
Allylamine preparations have the best effect on Candida, dermatophytes and molds. Gels and tablets from foot fungus and nail tissue destroy the cell structure of these parasites the fastest.
How to choose the best treatment
All the fungal drug groups listed can be purchased without a doctor's prescription, but this should not be done. The fact is that only by knowing the specific pathogen type can the fungus be effectively cured, and the patient cannot determine it by himself. Therefore, the best option is to seek medical help and receive a diagnosis in time.
The negative consequences of misdiagnosis and irregularities during treatment can be manifested as:
- Usually, for onychomycosis, the treatment process takes one to several months. In severe cases, it may take years to get rid of the fungus. Treatment with the wrong medication during this period will not bring positive results and will cost a lot of time and money.
- If in the process of self-medication, even the effective nail fungus pills and ointments are constantly changing, then the parasites will not only not have a positive effect, but will gain immunity to the substance, which will only increase.
- After interrupting the course of treatment, symptoms of infection usually recur, and the disease progresses even more severe, although drugs seem to have helped recently.
These main factors determine the need to contact a dermatologist or mycologist so that the doctor can prescribe an effective treatment for onychomycosis.
Effective folk remedies
In addition to medicine, folk remedies can also be used to treat toenail fungus. However, trusting experts is still desirable because:
- The concentration of the active substance in the medicine is always higher than the home method;
- Pharmacological preparations used to treat infections are particularly suitable for maximizing the impact on pathogens;
- Treating nail fungus with vinegar, iodine, tar and other substances can cause skin irritation and other related complications.
Generally speaking, traditional medicine recipes are best used as an additional treatment for toenail infections. Which is better depends on the pathogen, but several of the most common can be distinguished, and its effect is very effective.
A common method is Kombucha treatment. It is an effective method to treat nail fungus. At the same time, several recipes are very popular:
- You can take an organic tea tincture for two months and boil it. Then the liquid is brought to room temperature. Before going to bed, apply cotton wool soaked in this tincture to the infected nail. Remove the bandage in the morning. The softened area of the nail is cut short with scissors and polished with a file. Then repeat the process again.
- There is another way to use the mushroom itself. A small amount is ground into mud and applied to the infected nail. This procedure is repeated 2-3 times a day. This method is among the best in the use of Kombucha.
Other popular folk remedies are based on vinegar. You can take a bath with this substance to make your feet fly. But before the operation, you must prepare your nails:
- It needs to be sharpened with a file;
- Cut off the edges destroyed by fungi;
- Soften in hot water.
When using this method, it is important to ensure that the concentration of vinegar in the bathtub is not high. Otherwise, it may cause skin irritation. The legs may even get burned.
And be sure to wash your feet before going to bed and put on vinegar soaked socks. In an acidic environment, the spores of microorganisms will die, which will greatly slow down the spread of diseases.
There are also some traditional medicine recipes based on natural birch tar:
- You can apply tar soap to the affected nail plate.
- Another option involves the application of liquid substances.
- In the evening, use still grated soap to make bandages or glue your nails with plaster. In a few months, this will make you forget about the fungus.
Alternative treatments for pathologies on the nails are universal. However, in order to improve the treatment effect, it is best to consult with the attending physician. Only an expert can tell you the best way to treat nail fungus.
There are many medicines available to treat toenail fungus. They differ in terms of release form, type of active ingredient, cost and duration of treatment. The best treatment for toenail fungus is extremely difficult to find because each of these types is effective against certain fungal pathogens to varying degrees. Therefore, it is best to entrust the selection of the treatment process to experts.