It is generally believed that fungal nail infections are harmless to human health. Onychomycosis (fungal infections on the nails) accompany many people throughout their lives, and because they have no acute symptoms, they are often invisible. But for such patients, treatment is not important. In addition, everyone should imagine how the nail plate affected by the fungus makes an independent initial diagnosis of pathology.
Infecting fungal microorganisms
Fungal infections can occur in situations that humans are fully familiar with. In most cases, everyone does not even notice how they put themselves at risk of infection. The causes of toenail infection include the following:
- Wear other people's shoes, especially feet without socks or tights.
- You can explore the sauna, bath and swimming pool without using your own slippers.
- Apply in the salon for the services of a pedicureist who has questions about the quality of the work.
- Use someone else's file and scissors to process the nail plate.
- Use someone else's towel, towel.
In addition to the direct causes of onychomycosis, there are some factors that are more likely to cause infection:
- Often wear old socks, stockings and tights.
- Wearing closed shoes in the hot season can easily make your feet sweat (this is conducive to the growth of fungal microorganisms).
- Ignore the constant washing of feet with soap, especially after wearing bare shoes in summer.
- Buy shoes made of man-made materials.
- There are burrs around the toenails, cracks and corn on the soles.
What kind of fungus toenails look like
The changes in the nails develop slowly, without antifungal treatment, and may cause the nail plate to fall off completely, which is notoriously irreversible. In different stages of onychomycosis, all clinical manifestations have varying degrees of severity. Changes in nails are also individual, but many common signs can usually be distinguished:
- Change the color of the nails to brown, yellow, white, green and their shades, as well as a combination of each other.
- For the appearance of brittle nails, separate them.
- The edges of the pegboard will crack more.
- Burrs, cracks and peeling appear on the skin near the nails between the fingers.
- Increase or decrease in nail thickness (however, in some cases, the thickness remains the same).
Nail fungus treatment
It is recommended to start all treatments aimed at eliminating onychomycosis of the legs when the first suspicious signs of the disease are determined.
The method of treatment, medicine and method of use determine the development stage of the disease and the degree of nail damage.
Generally, there are two options for taking antifungal drugs-topical (topical) and general (systemic). Topical treatments are gels, ointments, creams, solutions and sprays for skin and nails. Systemic therapy is the intravenous infusion of drugs and their intake (oral, that is, "oral") in the form of tablets or capsules.
These options can be applied not only individually, but also in combination with each other. In addition, only in the case of a profound fungal infection can the infected tissue be mechanically removed.
Topical antifungal drugs
- Solutions for external use. It should be applied to the affected area twice a day with a brush. It is recommended to wash and dry with soapy water before applying. After applying the solution, cover the area with a sterile dressing. "
- Apply a thin layer of antifungal ointment and cream to the lesion once or twice a day.
Most patients believe that if this type of treatment is involved, then they will definitely remove their nails completely. Fortunately, they only take this approach in the late stages of the disease (the fungus has affected most tissues). In other cases, pedicure instruments can be used to remove part of the tissue that is affected by microorganisms.
For a long time, there has been surgery to remove nail plates under local anesthesia. In it, the entire nail was immediately removed, and then they separated it from the bed with scissors, and then "taken it out" with pliers. However, this operation can damage the nail matrix, which is the basis for its regeneration, which can lead to abnormal growth of new tissue and make it often ingrown into soft tissues.
Now, it is possible to cure the fungus by removing the infected nail plate with a laser. The laser does not touch healthy tissues, it only destroys fungal cells even in the deep layer of the nail, thus avoiding the deformation of the steel plate.
In addition, the method of removing hardware is also very prominent, in which the layer-by-layer removal of nails is performed using equipment with cutters of different sizes. This procedure is executed once a week or once every two weeks. Repeat the process until the affected nail layer is completely removed.
For any patient, preventing human pathogenic fungal infection is not so difficult. Just pay more attention to your lifestyle and remember the disease about onychomycosis. The following is a list of the main measures to prevent foot fungus:
- Don't wear it, let alone wear someone else's shoes.
- Use only socks and tights, and remember to wash them regularly.
- There is a personal pedicure kit.
- Only use the services of a pedicure master in a proven "premium" service location.
- Remember to bring slippers or slippers with you in the public bathing area.
Everyone should remember that onychomycosis is far from a harmless disease. It can even deprive your nail plate or be plagued by a serious disease called fungal sepsis (blood poisoning).
So far, all effective treatments for toenail fungus have been developed. You only need to contact a dermatologist in time to determine the presence of pathogenic microorganisms.